I just got home from seeing the final chapter of Harry Potter. It is ok, I will not be sharing the all important movie parts if you have not seen the movie, Just one line.
So how does Harry Potter and Business marketing relate accept for the fact their franchise is the one of the richest success stories in Hollywood history? Let me not hold you in suspense…..
In the final Chapter Harry and Dumbledore do have one more conversation together and Dumbledore corrects an earlier line from the second film “The Chamber of Secrets“that really hit me as a great point in marketing. Do you remember the line “There will always be help at Hogwarts when you ask for it?” In this film he corrects himself and says that help will always be there for those who deserve it? Quite a difference in those lines in life and in business.
Your business was built with your own sweet and dreams, and you probably have worked harder than anyone will ever know to get it growing. My Question is have you earned your customers and do you deserve their loyalty?
In today’s fast paced Social Driven Marketing world there is advice and tips every where on how to gain thousands of fans, followers and connections. It seems that many of the tips follow the same path as Dumbledore in the Chamber of Secrets – all you need to do is asked for friends, followers and connections and your Social Media and Marketing troubles are rescued and your will be victorious. But how true is the corrected statement, help is for those who deserve it? There are thousands of business people who have started gung-ho on social media adventures, gaining handful of fans, connections or followers as they added content and conversation online, only to find their fans did not share, their cash registers did not ring and they felt hey were wasting their time on meaningless conversation.
Why then are so many teaching that social media is the perfect marketing tool? That this single marketing tool can change the landscape of your business? Because it can and has for those who have earned it! The individuals which stayed connected and invested their time, thoughts and expertise not to just enrich their pockets but to help others enrich theirs. They gave first and continued to give of their knowledge until they had earned the right to ask for help, then their followers, connections and friends sprang to action and helped them succeed in their plans and business success.
If you are starting a social media campaign or have lost hope in your campaign take these tips seriously. Victory in social media marketing is not for the ones who just show up and ask for help, you must earn the right to receive the help.
5 – Tips to get you started:
- Share you knowledge – you have a knowledge base, you might not think it is much but you do have a knowledge base share it freely. Yes if you have the secret recipe you don’t have to share it, but you can share tips and knowledge that will help others create their own secret recipe
- Share your answers – invest time on the social media front helping others get the answers they need to be successful or find enjoyment.
- Share your advice – Who, what, when, why? Pretend you’re a newspaper reporter and you have to interview yourself for an article. Remember the 4 W’s and start writing.
- Share your encouragement – People love to help people that make them feel good about themselves. Make someone else feel special
- Share your visions and dreams – What do you want the world to look like. Tell us. Yes you might get ridiculed from some but mostly you will help the best of us believe in you. And until we believe in you we will never promote or stand up for you.
- Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling’s Genius (twila.me)
- 5 Marketing Lessons from Harry Potter (hubspot.com)