Do you have your business scheduled for a trade show or an event this spring?
I have spoken with several business owners in the last few weeks and thought it would be a good topic for me to get out. I have a few strong beliefs on the mistakes that business owners make at trade shows or events and a couple of suggestions to help you make a better marketing strategy. For the sake of this conversation we are going to assume that trade shows and events are relatively the same.
So here is the where I need to make a point: Why do people come to events or trade shows? To Buy? Or to socialize and browse? I believe that 95% + of all visitors are there for the latter. So my opinions on this matter take that assumption as reality.
- Just assume that your marketing materials will make them want to buy.
- Assume they came because they were interested and are a warm lead.
- Your free give away will be enough to sway them to give you a try.
- Assume that the e-mail they gave you was the best way to contact them. (ever heard of a junk e-mail folder)
- Fail to follow-up with leads
- Get a short Code and invite them to become a TXT Vip for additional savings.
- Hand them a discount card / coupon for your website or their next visit. Make it a really attractive offer that will bring them back.
- Invite most interested to an after hours cocktail event to discuss additional opportunities to connect (best for business to business)
- Post company invitations around event center driving them to your booth. (might be a great way to use the TXT marketing system)
- Ask for best contact information, don’t be afraid to make sure you are not going to end up in spam, and let them know you will be contacting them.
- Smile and enthusiastic about meeting them. People remember the booths or stores at an event that make it enjoyable for them and not just a sales presentation.
Remember that 95% are there to socialize, get free items, and to see what is new. You need to do a lot of show and tell but also need to encourage them to come again when they are ready to shop.
Have a great event season.
- Can virtual trade shows break the ice ? (leadsexplorer.com)
- Meetings on trade shows and conventions are a waste (leadsexplorer.com)
- Make Magic With Your Next Fashion/Apparel Tradeshow Exhibit (prcouture.com)
- How do I draw people to a trade show booth? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Tips on Exhibiting at Trade Shows (cash-bandit.com)